Hawaiian-Style Baby Quilt

A "quick" project, all machine sewn.  Hawaiian quilts are crazy-amazing & I love the graphic look of a single bold color on muslin.  They're definitely not easy, though- it's all reverse applique, which means, well I don't remember.  Because this lovely pillow, started on my honeymoon, has been sitting around for years.

This quilt was inspired by my angelic godson Kaleo, & it features the pineapple-butterfly logo of the Kapalua Hotel on Maui.  His parents married on the beach at Kapalua Bay & a giant sea turtle peeked up from the waters to bless them.  So baby sea turtles make up the centerpiece for this very Aloha-sweet boy. 
I grabbed this simple pattern book (simple to read, that is)



And then I altered the monstera leaf pattern to make the adorable baby turtles.  I made four & pieced them in the center.  Note the wonderful webs in the center- key for a Hawaiian-style quilt.


  Then I just sewed the whole thing together with a sergerish stitch compliments of my Husqvarna Computer 350.  My boy's did all the "pedalwork," making it quite homey-looking & justifying the lack of handstitching.  The background is a very dreamy Japanese-Looking flannel from Stone Mountain & Daughter, my favorite fabric shop in Berkeley, CA.  It's very funky.  The green is a tight acid yellow & lime woven linen, very raw. I'm crazy for the color.  Also from Stone Mountain.  With 3 young kids, I pick my priorities.  The purity here comes in 100% natural fibers & batting.